Applicant Privacy Statement
This statement provides applicants with information about the applicant-related information NORC (“NORC”, “we”, “our” or “us”) collects during the recruitment and hiring process and how NORC processes, uses and retains this information. This statement does not constitute an employment agreement.
For recruiting purposes, NORC collects and processes information about applicants. By choosing to provide your information to us via this site, or via any other means, you are, by that act, consenting to your information being collected, used, disclosed, and retained in accordance with this statement.
We encourage you to read this Applicant Privacy Statement carefully and understand its contents. If you have any questions, please direct them to HRHelp@norc.org.
1. WHAT INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT
The types of information NORC collects and processes in relation to applicants may include (as permitted by applicable law) the following:
- Contact details
- Applicant status
- Work history/previous employment data
- Employer feedback / references
- Information required for work authorization as set forth on the federal I-9 form
The above information is collectively known as “Applicant Information.”
Where permitted by applicable law we may also collect information such as "Sensitive Applicant Information", which includes:
- Sexual orientation
- Marital status
- Racial or ethnic origin
- Financial information
If required by applicable law, your consent may be requested for the processing of sensitive personal data.
2. HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
This information we collect from or about you will only be processed as described below.
2.1 Information Collection
- Subject to applicable legal requirements, NORC may use external services to collect, process and/or validate Applicant Information. NORC requires that any such external service providers will ensure adequate protection for Applicant Information and complies with applicable legal requirements and NORC's privacy and data security standards.
- NORC may collect applicant feedback and opinions periodically (e.g. surveys) for business purposes, such as improving processes, subject to local legal requirements. You may respond to these surveys voluntarily or may elect not to respond. Your choices in relation to surveys have no bearing on the selection process for any vacancy at NORC. This statement will be applicable to personal information provided as response to the surveys.
2.2 Disclosure to Third Parties
- NORC may disclose certain Applicant Information to third parties such as legal advisors, law enforcement agencies, or governmental/regulatory bodies in order to protect our legal interests and other rights, protect against fraud or other illegal activities, for risk management purposes, and to comply with our legal obligations.
- It may be necessary to disclose certain Applicant Information to a vendor or contractor organization that supplies services which require the use and/or creation of Applicant Information.
3. HOW WE PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
We respect the privacy rights and interests of our applicants, the following principles will be applied when dealing with Applicant Information.
3.1 Data Privacy Principles
- Applicant Information will be collected for the purposes specified in this Statement and only used accordingly.
- We will not collect more information than we need for the purposes described in this Statement.
- Applicant Information will not be kept longer than is appropriate or necessary for recruitment purposes or in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
- Applicant Information will be collected, used and retained in accordance with your legal rights.
3.2 Applicant Data Security
- NORC takes reasonable procedural, technical, physical & organizational measures to prevent unauthorized access, misuse, loss, disclosure, alteration, destruction or damage to Applicant Information.
- NORC takes reasonable steps to ensure adequate security to protect manual and electronic processing of Applicant Information and prevent its misuse, subject to applicable legal requirements and as appropriate under the circumstances.
- NORC takes reasonable steps to ensure adequate security is observed by third parties and affiliates processing Applicant Information and Sensitive Applicant Information on behalf of NORC, as required by applicable law and as appropriate under the circumstances.
4. YOUR RIGHTS
- Your are required to ensure that the Applicant Information you provide to NORC is kept up to date and amend any information which is inaccurate or out of date (e.g. address).
- If you disagree with the accuracy or completeness of any Applicant Information collected from third parties or affiliates, and wish to rectify it, or you wish to exercise your rights of cancellation or objections, please notify your NORC recruitment contact. NORC will resolve any issues concerning your Applicant Information in accordance with relevant procedures and applicable law.
- Where applicable law provides, you may have a right of access to the information that NORC holds about you, the source of the data, the purpose for which it has been collected, processed and transferred, and the recipients of such data. In order to exercise this right, or to discuss any concerns or questions you have about this statement, please contact HRHelp@norc.org or write to:
NORC Human Resources Department
55 East Monroe Street
Chicago, IL 60603